Here at CEPA, we want to encourage young actors that even though there is no stage, they can still work on their acting abilities and have fun! For Thursday we are going to be working with another important tool for an actor, the body!
Thursday’s Daily Drama is…Warm-ups!
The body is important for the actor. Just like your voice and breath, your body needs to be open and available for whatever acting challenge is thrown your way. Taking the time to warm-up before working on your acting skills is beneficial because it helps you focus, improves posture, and assists with character development. So let’s go over some easy warm-ups for the body!
- Gently start rolling or rotating your ankles and wrist.
- Rotate your head forward, side to side, and backward. In circular motions slowly.
- Next, we are going to stretch! Take one arm and cross it in front of you, taking your other arm and putting light pressure on the arm you are stretching. You will feel the muscles stretching as the pressure is put on. Repeat for the other arm.
- Plant yourself with your feet apart and lean over to one leg. The leg you are leaning on should be bent with your knee out. Your other leg should be straight to stretch out those muscles in the leg. After 30 seconds, repeat with your other leg for another 30 seconds
- Now you want to bend over at your waist and let your head and arms swing towards the floor like a ragdoll. Hang like this for 30 seconds. Then you will slowly start rolling up one part of the body at a time until you are standing up straight again. (the head should be the last part that rolls back into place.)
- Lastly, shake everything out! Shake your head, legs, ankles, wrists, hands. Everything! This helps get rid of any tension you are holding in your body.
This is an easy warm-up that can help you perform to the best of your ability. This can take 10-15 minutes, but the benefits will help you tremendously with your acting.
For more warm-ups and information:
“Physical Warm Up”- https://www.stagemilk.com/physical-warm-up/
“An Actor’s Warm-up”-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9-UHcwgVA